The Shop With a Cop program joins children who are in need with local law enforcement officers, providing the children with money to shop for Christmas presents for their families and themselves. The program is funded completely from donations. Underprivileged children who participate in the program are chosen by law enforcement officers.

Children and officers meet the morning of Shop With a Cop where they travel together in a law enforcement vehicle, with lights and siren. First they enjoy a breakfast donated by McDonalds and, in years past have gone to Kmart to shop, however, due to the closing of the Rexburg Kmart we are now excited to have the opportunity to shop at the Rexburg Walmart.

Not only do the children get a chance to purchase Christmas presents that they otherwise would not be able to buy, but they also get a chance to build a positive relationship with law enforcement. Law enforcement officers from the following agencies attend: Rexburg Police Department, Madison County Sheriff's Office, Rigby Police Department, Jefferson County Sheriff's Office, St. Anthony Police Department, Ashton Police Department, Fremont County Sheriff's Office, Teton County Sheriff's Office, Clark County Sheriff's Office, Ucon Police Department, Idaho State Police,
and the Idaho Fish & Game.

The program benefits children in Madison, Fremont, Jefferson, Clark and Teton Counties.

Fundraising and donations are done throughout the year to insure that funds are available at the time families and children are selected for the yearly shopping event. We appreciate any donation you make to this program at any time of the year. All donations go to the Shop with a Cop program to help provide Christmas for children in need.

If you have questions regarding the program, please contact
Lt. Colin Erickson or Sgt. Colette Davison
at the Rexburg Police Department (208) 359-3008.

Donations to the program can be made at the
Rexburg Police Department
25 East Main Street
PO Box 280
Rexburg, Idaho 83440

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Little Man

I don't know what it was this year,
But I was struggling to find any Christmas cheer;
Maybe it was seeing other people's greed,
Shopping for things they didn't even need.

As I arrived I looked around,
A little boy and his mom was what I found;
Worn clothes and shoes were on the boy,
He didn't look like he was thinking of a new toy.

Something about him made me think he was scared,
Not about the shopping, he had a list, he was prepared;
As we went out to my car,
He watched his mother from a far.

I asked him if he was excited for this day,
Trying to get to know him in a simple way;
Then he told me he had a plan,
After all he was his dad's "little man".

He said this year it was up to him,
To make sure that their Christmas wasn't grim;
He went on to tell me that cancer took his dad,
This was the worst year they had had.

This year they were really poor,
His mom had told him, no gifts from the store;
But then the letter came, telling him he got to meet a cop,
He got to go to the store and shop.

He knew he could surprise them, it was his call,
He was determined to buy gifts for them all;
Then I looked at his handwritten list, I saw the plan,
He was right, he was his dad's "little man".

A truck for one brother,
A robe for his mother;
One sister a doll, a dress for another,
And a stuffed toy for his baby brother.

But there was nothing for that little boy,
Nothing for him, not even a toy.
He said "I'm not worried about me,
I don't want anything under the tree."

He told me this year he knew Christmas was for giving,
That was what his dad always said when he was living;
Suddenly my mood had changed,
I would make sure that his plan was arranged.

I knew this feeling, this smile,
Would last me for quite a while;
Me and that "little man",
We carried out his Christmas plan!

Colette Davison